Unit 4 Assignment Directions
Applying Pharmacology Principles
Unit Outcome(s) addressed in this Assignment:
- Convert between measurement systems.
- Perform accurate occupational math and metric conversions for proper medication administration.
- Calculate safe dosages for infants, children, and adults
- Solve dosage problems using basic calculation, ratio and proportion methods. Dose ordered vs dose on hand calculations.
- Complete the calculation problems below, SHOW ALL YOUR WORK. If you are unable to type out you work, then you can print off the assignment, hand-write your work and answers, scan and submit.
- READChapters 5 and 6 prior to completing this assignment.
Course Outcome(s) assessed in this Assignment:
HS140-3: Perform mathematical calculations related to medication administration.
Submitting Your Work
Put your responses in a Microsoft® Word® document. Save it in a location and with the proper naming convention: “Last_name, First initial, Unit 4” Submit your Assignment to the Dropbox.
Part 1: Measurement Systems and Converting Between Systems
Each question is worth 2 points for a total of 20 points.
Complete the following conversions and place the correct answer in the blank.
- 0.8 g = _________mg
- 20 kg = _________lb
- 6500 mL = ________ L
- 4.56 L =__________ mL
- 45 mL = _________ tbsp
6) 7.9 mg = _________ g
7) 150 lb = __________ kg
8) 30 mL = _________ tsp
9) 8 tsp = __________ mL
10)5 oz = _________ mL
Part 2: Practical applications
Total of 6 points.
- You’re about to calculate a dose of medication when you notice that the dose ordered units differ from the dose on hand units. Explain the three steps you need to do before you can calculate the dose. (3 points)
- A patient weighs 150 pounds. What first must be done in order to calculate the correct dose of medication for this patient? Please explain. (1 points)
- A syringe contains 30 mL of sterile water. How many cubic centimeters does the syringe contain? (1 points)
- The directions on a cough syrup are “take four tablespoons.” How many ounces are equivalent to four tablespoons? (1 points)
Part 3: Dosage Calculations
Using the Basic Calculation Method from Chapter 6, please solve the dosage calculation, showing your work.
“Ordered”refers to what strength/dosage the physician requested.
“On hand”refers to what is available.
1. Morphine 10mg IM is ordered. Medication available is morphine 15mg/mL. (1pt)
- How many mL’s do you need to administer?
2. Kanamycin sulfate is available on hand in vials labeled 250mg/mL. The order needs kanamycin 375mg q12h IM. (1pts each)
- How many mL’s do you need for each dose?
- How many mL’s do you need for a one-day supply?
3. Lasix (furosemide) 0.06 g PO is ordered. Medication on hand is 40mg scored tablets. (1pt)
- How many of the tablets should be administered?
- How many milliliters in each dose?
- How many teaspoons per dose?
4. A physician orders neomycin 250mg q8h. On hand you have neomycin available in 125mg/5mL. (1pts each)
5. Order reads Darvon 130 mg q6h for pain. The bottle contains Darvon capsules 65 mg/capsule. (1pts each)
- How many capsules are needed for each dose?
- How many capsules are needed for a thirty-day supply?
6. Order reads Tylenol 0.75 g q4h. You have 500 mg tablets on hand. (1 pts each)
- How many tablets do you need to administer per dose?
- How many tablet are required for 24 hour period?
7. Erythromycin suspension 200 mg q6h is ordered for a 4-year-old child who weighs 16 kg. The usual pediatric dose is 30 to 50 mg/kg/24 h. (1pts each)
- What is the dose range for this weight? ______ mg to _______mg
- What is the child’s daily dose? ______mg
8. Streptomycin is given at 15 mg/kg/day in three equally divided doses. The patient weighs 110 lb. (1pts each)
- How much streptomycin should be given daily?
- How many milligrams per dose?
- Confidentiality & Authenticity Guaranteed
- Plagiarism Free Content Guarantee
- All A+ Essays Guarantee Timely Delivery of All Papers
- Quality & Reliability
- Papers Written from Scratch and to Your Instructions
- Qualified Writers Only
- All A+ Essays Allow Direct Contact With Your Writer
- Using allaplusessays.com Means Keeping Your Personal Information Secure
- 24/7 Customer Support
GET QUALITY ESSAY HELP AT: https://allaplusessays.com/order
ORDER A PAPER WRITTEN FROM SCRATCH AND TO YOUR EXACT INSTRUCTIONS (allaplusessays.com – For 100% Original Content)
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.