Excerpt from Essay :
Infection Prevention and Control
Proposal for Clinical Experience and Project
For this project, I elected to experience the leadership role in a clinical practice with a family nurse practitioner (FNP). Towards this end, my area of specialty will be infection prevention and control in a short-term and long-term rehabilitation facility.
The relevance of this clinical experience cannot be overstated when it comes to the further enhancement of my professional capabilities. As a matter of fact, I regard it a rite of passage as I seek to gather additional insight in my field of specialization for enhanced patient care in a clinical setting. Being fully aware of the diversity of the patient-care environment, I would want to be prepared to address various healthcare-related issues and concerns in an able and professional manner. This is more so the case given that the nursing field is very broad – effectively meaning that those in this noble profession ought to be prepared to function in a wide range of care settings and specialties. In general terms, therefore, my selected clinical experience would come in handy in this endeavor.
I selected my area of specialty, i.e. infection prevention and control, for a number of reasons. It is important to note that infection control and prevention is key to the further enhancement of patient outcomes. According to Gould and Drey (2013), the relevance of infection control in “protecting patients and reducing the risks of occupational exposure” cannot be overstated” (760). Towards this end, I would want to be well versed in the prevention of hospital-acquired infections by ensuring a safe working environment that does not pose the risk of infection. The role of nurses in this endeavor is largely front-line given their close interactions and proximity to patients. It is with this in mind that I would desire to be well-versed in the various infection control and management approaches so as to ensure protection for both myself and my patients. This is of great relevance given that “professional practice requires direct contact with the sick, handling material and implementation of invasive procedures” (Gomes, Mascarenhas, Mendonca, and Rebelo, 2016, p. 87). Below are my self-defined learning objectives for the clinical experience:
- To have a practical feel of the various approaches and measures undertaken in seeking to ensure that pathogens borne by various body fluids are not transmitted in the course of healthcare provision or conduction of first aid. The said body fluids include, but they are not limited to blood, vaginal secretions, amniotic fluids, cerebrospinal fluids, etc.
- To have better grasp of not only how infections occur, but also the manner in which various microorganisms behave and proliferate. In so doing, I would be seeking to have better comprehension of prevention approaches across all settings.
- To familiarize myself with the various organizational procedures put in place in a clinical setting to not only prevent, but also minimize opportunities for infections. Towards this end, I would be interested in finding out the various strategies healthcare institutions adopt or embrace in an attempt to ensure that patient outcomes are not hampered by poor infection control and prevention by members of staff. In essence, infections such as influenza pose a significant risk of spreading amongst patients in a healthcare setting. This could have significant and far-reaching implications for healthcare facilities.
The fact that I will be in a supervised learning environment means that I will be sharpening my skills and abilities in my selected area of specialty under the watchful as well as keen eye of an experienced professional, i.e. a family nurse practitioner (FNP). In that regard, therefore, I will be developing the necessary capabilities at a more enhanced rate than I would on my own, without necessarily compromising the safety as well as outcomes of patients.
Regulatory Standards in Beverley Rehabilitation and Health Care Center
The role of regulation in nursing practice cannot be overstated. Towards this end, there are various regulatory agencies that provide guidelines as well as standards for various practice settings. For my practice setting, the U.S. Department of Health an,,,,,,,,,,,,,ention.
It is important to note that as various studies have indicated in the past, one of the most significant threats to the safety as well as wellbeing of patients are healthcare-associated infections (HAI). As per the recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee, which advises the HHS secretary on the most viable strategies to implement in an attempt to control and prevent HAIs, “adherence to infection prevention and control practices is essential to providing safe and high quality patient care across all settings where healthcare is delivered” (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – CDC, 2017). Towards this end, various infection control as well as prevention guidelines have been put in place for all healthcare facilities to adhere to – “regardless of the type of healthcare provided” (CDC, 2017).
In various core practice categories, the guidelines highlight not only the relevance of support from the leadership of facilities, but also the need to adequately train staff o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,onment, medication as well as injection safety, and hand hygiene.
My project involves educating nurses working in a short-term long- term rehabilitation center/nursing home on how to insert indwelling Foley catheter and catheter-associated urinary tract infection (CAUTI). This would be more of a ‘refresher c……….…
- Confidentiality & Authenticity Guaranteed
- Plagiarism Free Content Guarantee
- All A+ Essays Guarantee Timely Delivery of All Papers
- Quality & Reliability
- Papers Written from Scratch and to Your Instructions
- Qualified Writers Only
- All A+ Essays Allow Direct Contact With Your Writer
- Using allaplusessays.com Means Keeping Your Personal Information Secure
- 24/7 Customer Support
GET QUALITY ESSAY HELP AT: https://allaplusessays.com/order
ORDER A PAPER WRITTEN FROM SCRATCH AND TO YOUR EXACT INSTRUCTIONS (allaplusessays.com – For 100% Original Content)
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.