Assessment 1 Instructions: Nursing Informatics in Health Care
Write a 4-5 page evidence-based proposal to support the need
for a nurse informaticist in an organization who would focus on
improving health care outcomes.
As you begin to prepare this assessment, you are encouraged
to complete the Team Perspectives of the Nurse Informaticist
activity. Completion of this will help you succeed with the
assessment as you explore the nurse informaticist’s role from the
different perspectives of the health care team. Completing
activities is also a way to demonstrate engagement.
Nurses at the baccalaureate level in all practice areas are
involved in nursing informatics through interaction with
information management and patient care technologies. Nurses must
not only demonstrate knowledge of and skills in health information
and patient care technologies, but also how to use these tools at
the bedside and organizational levels. Moreover, nurses need to
recognize how information gathered from various health information
sources can impact decision making at the national and state
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will
demonstrate your proficiency in the course competencies through the
following assessment scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 1: Describe nurses’ and the interdisciplinary team’s
role in informatics with a focus on electronic health information
and patient care technology to support decision making.
- Define nursing informatics and the role of the nurse informaticist.
- Explain how the nurse collaborates with the interdisciplinary team, including technologists, to improve the quality of patient care.
- Justify the need for a nurse informaticist in a health care organization.
- Competency 2: Implement evidence-based strategies to
effectively manage protected health information.
- Explain evidence-based strategies that the nurse and interdisciplinary team can use to effectively manage patients’ protected health information (privacy, security, and confidentiality).
- Competency 5: Apply professional, scholarly communication to
facilitate use of health information and patient care technologies.
- Follow APA style and formatting guidelines for citations and references.
- Create a clear, well-organized, and professional proposal that is generally free from errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
For this assessment, assume you are a nurse attending a meeting of your state’s nurses’ association. A nurse informaticist conducted a presentation on her role and its impact on positive patient and organizational outcomes in her workplace. You realize that your organization is undergoing many technological changes. You believe this type of role could provide many benefits to your organization.
You decide to pursue proposing a nurse informaticist role in your organization. You speak to your chief nursing officer (CNO) and human resources (HR) manager. These individuals ask you to prepare a 4–5 page evidence-based proposal to support the new role. In this way, they can make an informed decision as to whether the addition of such a role could justify the return on investment (ROI). They need your proposal before an upcoming fiscal meeting.
To successfully prepare for this assessment, you will need to complete these preparatory activities:
- Review assessment resources and activities.
- Conduct independent research on the nursing knowledge and
skills necessary to interact with health information and patient
- Focus your research on current resources available through peer-reviewed articles, professional websites, government websites, professional blogs, wiki pages, job boards, et cetera.
- Consult the for help in identifying scholarly and authoritative sources.
- Interview peers in your network who are considered information
- Ask them about how information technology advances are impacting patient care at the bedside, at the organizational level, and beyond.
- Proposal Format
The Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) and Human Resources (HR) manager have asked you to include the following headings in your proposal and to be sure to address the bullets underneath each heading:
Nursing Informatics and the Nurse Informaticist
- What is nursing informatics?
- What is the role of the nurse informaticist?
- Nurse Informaticists and Other Health Care Organizations
- What is the experience of other health care organizations with nurse informaticists?
- How do these nurse informaticists interact with the rest of the nursing staff and the interdisciplinary team?
- Impact of Full Nurse Engagement in Health Care Technology
- How does fully engaging nurses in health care technology
- Patient care?
- Protected health information (security, privacy, and confidentiality)?
- Costs and return on investment?
- Opportunities and Challenges
- What are the opportunities and challenges for nurses and the
interdisciplinary team with the addition of a nurse informaticist
- How can the interdisciplinary team collaborate to improve quality care outcomes through technology?
- Summary of Recommendations
- What are 3–4 key takeaways from your proposal about the recommended nurse informaticist role that you want the CNO and the HR manager to remember?
- Additional Requirements
- Written communication:Ensure written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Submission length:4–5 double-spaced pages, in addition to a title page and references page.
- Font: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- Citations and References:Cite a minimum of 3current scholarly and/or authoritative sources to support your ideas. In addition, cite a minimum of 1current professional blog or website to support your central ideas. Current means no more than five years old.
- APA formatting:Be sure to follow APA formatting and style guidelines for citations and references. For an APA refresher, consult the page on Campus.
- Portfolio Prompt:Save your presentation to your ePortfolio. Submissions to the ePortfolio will be part of your final capstone course.
- SCORING GUIDE
Use the scoring guide to understand how your assessment will be evaluated.
After Tax Profit Two firms, A and B, both produce gadgets. the price of gadgets is $2 each. Firm A has tot...
After a period of close reading, critical thinking and engaging discussion, students will prepare a final statement on one of the works discussed....
Directions1. Print, read and annotate the following pair of articles posted in Unit and General Resources:Assigned Articles for Opposing Viewpoin...
PLEASE READ THE BELOW ESSAY AND WRITE A SUBSTANTIVE 300 WORD REPLY Make sure that you are adding new and relevant information with each t...
Ashford 6: - Week 5 - Journal Learning to Read or Reading to Learn? As children develop...
Question Description Discussion...
Must attach excel document and fill out chartA real estate developer is assessing an area for future retail development. She believes it is...
I have attached the word doc needed with the information. If you need anything else please let me know....
please check the word file according to the requirement. add some sources relate to my topics . and make this article...
Throughout this course, you have explored the ABC Model of Crisis Intervention. Each aspect of the model has been discussed in leng...
Question 1 5 Points Danner Corporation reported net...
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.