Concept Paper Discretion
Background: Discretion is the exercising of choice. Usually
discretion involves a conscious, purposeful decision to disregard a
directive, protocol, or normative behavior in favor of some
alternative recourse deemed to be more appropriate to the current
circumstance or condition. The exercise of discretion is fraught
with risk, however. Deviation from direction may be construed as
disrespect, disobedience, or worse. But a failure to identify the
appropriate application of discretion may brand the leader as
insensitive, unrealistic, or a martinet. The various elements and
characters in the criminal justice system are replete with the
opportunity (and the necessity) for the exercise of discretion,
none more so than the law enforcement function. The role of the
police administrator is doubly challenging, as he or she must
determine how best to use discretion as well as encourage or
dissuade discretion by subordinate members of the agency.
Project Assignment: You will submit a concept paper describing two discretionary situations for a police chief. The situations may focus on either operational issues (e.g., uniform patrol deployment, criminal investigation/arrest, traffic control, crime prevention, etc.) or administrative issues (e.g., disciplinary action, hiring, training, budget/procurement, public information, etc.). The exercise of discretion in one situation may be appropriate while being inappropriate in another.
For each situation, you will describe:
• the situation, the controlling protocol, and the discretionary alternative(s)
• the reasons supporting compliance with the controlling protocol
• the justification for the exercise of discretion
• the determination that discretion is appropriate/inappropriate, and why
In support of this project a minimum of two additional sources must be referenced in addition to textbook and course reading materials.
CAUTION: This paper must reflect the discretion exercised by the chief of police in his/her capacity as a police administrator. Situations describing the discretion of a police officer are inappropriat for this project.
- Confidentiality & Authenticity Guaranteed
- Plagiarism Free Content Guarantee
- All A+ Essays Guarantee Timely Delivery of All Papers
- Quality & Reliability
- Papers Written from Scratch and to Your Instructions
- Qualified Writers Only
- All A+ Essays Allow Direct Contact With Your Writer
- Using allaplusessays.com Means Keeping Your Personal Information Secure
- 24/7 Customer Support
GET QUALITY ESSAY HELP AT: https://allaplusessays.com/order
ORDER A PAPER WRITTEN FROM SCRATCH AND TO YOUR EXACT INSTRUCTIONS (allaplusessays.com – For 100% Original Content)
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.