Discussion Prompt: Benefits and RisksRead the following article and answer the questions below incorporating information from your textbook and the videos that you watched. Cone, M. (2009, May 4). Should DDT be used to combat malaria? Scientific American. Retrieved from http://
- Which risk do you think is greater, the risk from malaria or health effects from DDT? Explain why. Research some alternatives to the pesticide DDT. What are the risks associated with these alternatives? Do the benefits outweigh the risks?
- Man tries to control nature through technology and even chemicals. Compare man’s power versus God’s power that you meditated on in the Biblical Perspective.
- Most of the toxicity information that we use to set standards to protect human health comes from testing chemicals on animals. Discuss the ethics of testing chemicals on animals. Are there alternative methods and would you trust the safety of chemicals that were tested using these methods?
Session 3 ActivityOnline and In-Seat Students:After completing the reading assignment for this session, complete the Session 3 Activity Session 3 Activity – Alternative FormatsInstructions:
- Click on the “Session 3 Activity” link above. The activity will download directly to your computer as a Word document.
- There will be instructions in the Word document that you will use to complete this activity.
- Complete all parts of this activity by directly typing your answers onto the Word document (i.e., fill in the table and answer the questions).
- Save the completed Word document to your computer.
- Click the Session 3 Activity link to submit your assignment as an attachment by the posted due date.
this has two parts discussion 3 and session 3